Northumberland County historic home for sale. Clifton offers 127 private acres of rolling woodlands and open fields that were once part of the vast holdings of Robert “King” Carter, the richest man in Virginia in the early 18th century.
The original home built in 1785 by Carter’s grandson, Landon II, remained in the Carter family until 1843. Purchased by James Armistead Palmer, generations of the Palmer family have lived at Clifton until the present day.
Clifton retains its original charm of Georgian architecture with a center chimney that serves two fireplaces on the main level and four fireplaces on the second level. Two stairways in the expansive entry hall lead to the second floor.
The east wing (circa 1810) serves as the master bedroom and the west wing (2002) as a library.
Two bathrooms & kitchen were added in 1973 creating a comfortable home.
Original moldings remain throughout the home.
The 3 dependencies include a cabin, workshop, and garden shed.
A pole barn was erected in a wooded area of the property in 2009.
Clifton lies in Northumberland County with a portion in the town of Kilmarnock.
New owners are allowed to add a 3000 sq ft house on the property (approved by VA Dept. of Historic Resources).
There is a Deed of Easement from Grantors of Clifton to the Grantees, Virginia Board of Historic Resources.
An additional 3000 sq ft home may be built on Clifton with the approval of the Virginia Board of Historic Resources.